Thistledown campsite is so huge it’s mind boggling! The weekend we were there it was fully booked and it still felt so spacious, no one camped anywhere near us. Finding privacy and seclusion at this site is easy, but equally it would be great for camping with groups of friends.
Situated in the Cotswolds, this 70-acre, family run, organic farm is just lovely. It has the largest elderflower orchard in the world and if you are in a campervan, lucky you, that’s where you get to sleep.
The walking in the area is fantastic (and very hilly), but you don’t really need to leave the campsite, with its glorious woodland paths, shops and café there’s lots to keep you busy. It’s a magical place for kids to explore and play.
- Great walking
- Woodland paths to walk dogs and kids on site
- Pitch where you like
- If you’re in a van showers and hot washing up are far away
- Walk to pub on road can be a bit scary
- Woodchester park (national trust) access directly from campsite, 500 acres including 5 man-made lakes
- Coaley peak view point View point – you can see Wales
- Lots of great walking in the area
- Ruskin mill cafe has beautiful gardens to explore.
- Fires – Yes, use existing fire pit and woods for sale at the shop or they drive round
- BBQ’s – Yes
Food and Drink
- Fully licensed Café on site is open 7 days a week. Lovely fresh food served Wednesday – Sunday, lunch and brunch. Friday and Saturday open for pizza in evenings. Indoor and outdoor seating. Take away coffees, cakes and pastries.
- Rose and crown Nympsfield (walk on road)
- Posh Fishmongers & deli in Nailsworth, Williams food hall
- Nailsworth is a 5 min drive, has everything you need and more (supermarket, post office, butcher, bakers etc).
- Phone reception, 4g
- Portaloos in campervan area
- Compost toilets, hot showers and washing up in tent area
- Walks on site
- Plug sockets for charging
- Hot, clean showers, as far as we can see only 4 on whole site, don’t know if we got lucky but never saw a queue which is weird for such a massive site!
- Additional Portaloos dotted around site
- Hand sanitizing stations
Our top tips
- Only area vans are allowed is the Elderflower orchard. We love camping right in the middle of it, although the sides are more sheltered and popular. You can get quite a lot of road noise if you pitch up the top end of orchard.